An understanding of the role of primers is helpful when choosing a primer.
1. Priming creates a surface with even absorption so topcoats dont appear patchy. Bare substrates or dirty walls usually have variations in their absorption level and without a primer this can show through in the topcoats as uneven colour and varying sheen levels.
2. Priming makes topcoats flow on more easily and spread further. Hence it is false to assume omitting a primer will save on the overall cost of a job.
3. Priming increases topcoat adhesion. Notnecessarily noticeable at first but may show as peeling paint in the future. Zinsser Smart Prime and BONZ are used to adhere to glossy or hard to stick to surfaces.
4. Primers can improve topcoat colour. Use a primer to cover strong colours. Tint primers to half strength, or grey when using dark coloured topcoats to help give the colour more opacity.
5. Priming can seal in stains such as mould, watermarks, smoke, oils, tannins, efflorescence and rust. These are specialised primers such as Zinsser Smart Prime and Metalfix.
We sell only water based low VOC primers.